The Boiler Upgrade Scheme, which began on April 1st 2022, is a new government scheme to encourage and assist the use of efficient, renewable energy generation to provide heat for your home.
Are you looking for new ways to save money on your heating and, at the same time, to help the drive towards net-zero carbon emissions? Perhaps your existing fossil fuel or electric heating system is simply due for an upgrade. Now there is a great opportunity to upgrade, save money and make your home more eco-friendly in the Boiler Upgrade Scheme.
From the 11th of May this year, the government will be receiving applications and awarding grants for renewable energy commissioned on or after April 1st 2022. (Commissioning is the completion of installation and set-up of the system). So, if your home is eligible, you can apply now and you may receive a substantial discount on the installation and commission of an air or ground source heat pump or a biomass boiler system in your home.
Contact us on 01604 644500 to get the ball rolling.
What can you get?
- £5,000 off the cost and installation of an air source heat pump
- £5,000 off the cost and installation of a biomass boiler
- £6,000 off the cost and installation of a ground source heat pump
Please note that the grant will only cover biomass boilers in rural locations and in properties that are not connected to the gas grid.
Is my home eligible for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme?
We will be able to advise you on the eligibility of your home and whether a low carbon system is suitable for your home.
You may be eligible if you:
- live in England or Wales
- own your property (whether this is a home or a small non-domestic property)
The property will need to have:
- an installation capacity up to 45kWth (this covers most homes)
- a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) with no outstanding recommendations for loft or cavity wall insulation (unless you have an insulation exemption) You can check to see if your home has an energy performance certificate by searching here: gov.uk/find-energy-certificate
- You must be fully replacing an existing fossil fuel system such as oil, gas or direct electric. Funding will not be available for the replacement of existing low carbon heat systems.
- New build properties will not normally be eligible. The only exception is if you’re building your own home.
Contact us on 01604 644500 to find out whether a low carbon heating system is suitable for your property.
We can work with you to make sure your home is eligible. You may need to explore further the possibility of grants to help with upgrading your insulation, doors and windows to achieve the right energy rating. Bear in mind that this is not just more red tape. The energy efficiency of your home needs to be to a certain standard to make a low temperature heating system, such as a heat pump system, worth installing.
How does the Boiler Upgrade Scheme work?
- To make things simple the application process is handled by your chosen installer. As with all significant purchases, you may want to shop around, to make sure you get the best value for money.
- Your installer will need to be an MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) certified installer. Plumb-Line is MCS certified, which gives you the assurance that the installation will be carried out to a high standard with high quality products.
- If you choose Plumb-Line, we will assess your eligibility and the suitability of a renewable energy system in your home. If all is good and you agree the quote we provide, we will make your application for you to OFGEM, the scheme administrator.
- If your application is successful, OFGEM will send you an email asking for your consent for us to proceed with the installation. All you have to do then is confirm by replying to the email, that you want to go ahead with us. When OFGEM have your consent, they send us a voucher to be redeemed against the work in your home.
- We will then complete the installation to the high standards set by the industry and the Boiler Upgrade Scheme itself. The grant voucher is redeemed with OFGEM and the grant is paid to us, which is what allows us to give you a discount to the full amount of the grant.
At Plumb-Line, we are happy to be taking part in the Boiler Upgrade Scheme. This means we can apply on your behalf for the grant that best suits your needs. This is a great way to overcome the upfront costs of switching to a low-carbon heating system. By taking part, you could soon be enjoying the increased efficiency and savings which can follow and doing your bit to help the planet.