The key reasons for having a gas boiler serviced annually are to ensure that it is running both safely and efficiently. An annual service is also necessary to ensure that the boiler’s warranty remains valid. This is the case whether it’s the manufacturer’s guarantee after purchase (which is usually five years or more for a good quality boiler) or if you’ve invested in an extended warranty. It may also be a requirement of your home insurance policy to have an annual gas boiler service.
A gas boiler must be serviced by a Gas Safe registered engineer to ensure that they are competent and qualified to work safely and legally with gas. All of our engineers at Plumb-Line are Gas Safe registered and happy to show you their Gas Safe ID and registration card.
You should never attempt to service a gas boiler yourself.
Safe operation of your gas boiler
An annual service ensures that your gas boiler is operating safely and that it presents no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is an extremely dangerous gas, but we cannot see, taste or smell it. The following symptoms may indicate carbon monoxide poisoning, so you should have your boiler and other gas appliances checked immediately, as well as seeking medical help, if you experience them.
- Nausea and vomiting
- Tiredness and confusion
- Stomach pain
- Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing
In addition, you should have an up to date carbon monoxide detector located around two metres away from your boiler.
Gas Safety Check
A Plumb-Line engineer will complete a Gas Safety Check in addition to the boiler service. This ensures that the boiler is working safely. It includes
- Checking that the gas is burning correctly
- Completing a flue test to ensure there are no unsafe emissions from your boiler
- Checking that there is a suitable, permanent air supply and that any flues or chimneys are operating correctly
- Checking that the boiler is physically stable, securely fitted and properly connected to the gas pipework.
- Testing all safety devices to ensure they are functioning correctly
What does an annual gas boiler service involve?
As well as a Gas Safety Check, one of our experienced Gas Safe engineers will complete the following:
- Check that the boiler is operating at the correct gas pressure
- Inspect your gas boiler and controls to make sure they are operating safely
- Visually inspect the boiler to check for corrosion and leaks
- Examine all components to check that they are working safely
- Replace any worn or damaged components
- Clean components, as required, to optimise performance and safety
A Plumb-Line service engineer will also be able to advise you on how to make sure you get optimum performance out of your boiler, helping you to improve efficiency and save on your energy bills.
How long does an annual boiler service take?
A standard annual gas boiler service will take around an hour. However, if additional repairs are needed then it may take longer.
If additional repairs or replacement parts are needed, then these will usually incur an additional cost. However, this depends on the terms of your guarantee. Also, you may be able to claim for some boiler repairs under your home insurance policy.
Having a service carried out each year should keep your gas boiler working more efficiently for longer. Leaking, blocked or damaged pipes can have a significant effect on the overall performance of your heating and hot water system. Having them checked annually during a service will help to avoid any problems developing with your heating and hot water, as well as helping to keep your fuel usage as low as possible.
Investing in a thorough inspection of your boiler each year can help you to avoid any nasty surprises and offer savings in the long run.
Even if you’ve had your boiler serviced within the last 12 months, contact us as soon as possible if you notice any of the following:
- You are concerned about carbon monoxide poisoning
- The boiler isn’t working properly
- A pilot light has a dancing yellow flame instead of a crisp blue one
- Black marks/soot/stains around the boiler
- Condensation in the room where the boiler is located
- A blue pilot light on a boiler
At Plumb-Line our engineers are qualified and accredited across all fuel types so, whatever type of heating system you have, we can service it.
Call us now on 01604 644500 to arrange your annual boiler service.